Sunday, July 15, 2012

Analysis of VARK Learning styles questionnaire and ICT and implications for teaching





VARK learning questionnaire (designed by Neil Fleming, New Zealand,) :



MY PROFILE
  • Visual: 8
  • Aural: 7
  • Read/Write: 8
  • Kinesthetic: 12
l have a multimodal (VARK) learning preference.

This is the preference held by the majority of  people who take the questionnaire.

I have a Vark Type 2 or “whole sense approach”,  again the majority sub group

This score and its implications for learning does fit with my own understanding/experience  of my learning preferences
 I like to use all my senses when I try to learn new material or skills. I often find it difficult to  feel I really ‘know’ something unless I use at least  two or three modalities …and therefore it  can take longer for me to learn  and to make decisions (although there are obviously  other factors involved ).  I do often feel like I only half learn things, due to a lack of being able to experience learning through  all 4 senses.

In  his  website article “multimodality”, the  Neil Fleming explains that

“Another clue to multimodality might be in the order in which people gather information. …This may indicate that within their VARK multimodality, there is a primary mode and that they use the others only as support. They should redo the VARK questionnaire and select only one answer per question”

Hence I redid the test:
  • Visual: 2
  • Aural: 2
  • Read/Write: 4
  • Kinesthetic: 8 = my primary mode.

This surprised me somewhat. I’ve always thought of myself as a strong visual/auditory learner  and I don’t prioritise learning in a kinaesthetic way.
This is probably because  of my formation as an academic  learner flooded with  read/write/listen teaching


...................................................................................................................................................................................

My ANALYSIS
There are many different theories of learning:  Felder –Silver learning style model, Myers- Briggs type indicator and Kolb’s learning styles are but to name a few of the other main ones. I suspect they all have some value: looking at learning from different perspectives.  It would be interesting to do a wider learning assessment: Would this add to an individual’s metacognitive insights or create confusion?
As a stand-alone tool, the VARK questionnaire and associated information is a quick, useful tool to encourage learners to think about their learning. It gave me some new insights.  The site importantly  offers  practical suggestions as to how to change learning activities according to your preferences
The biggest gap in VARK theory is one that seems ignored by most learning theorists.
Prensky (2000) points out that we don’t often hear about learning in the context of what type of material is being learnt. 
Do people learn facts in a different way to how they learn physical skills or theory or analysis or creative problem solving?  Prensky suggests, for example, that we learn facts through questions, associations, drill, memorization
We learn skills (physical and mental) through imitation feedback continuous practice and increasing challenges.
I suspect that thinking about what I am trying to learn is just as important as how I prefer to learn when applied to a given task.


So how does my own learning style affect my teaching style?
I naturally aim to present material using as many modalities as possible
However, this is often restricted by
·       the type of material involved,
·       my role in the learning environment and
·       my access/awareness  of diverse resources.
I have had comments from students that I am a “hands on teacher”, which they find very helpful when I am teaching clinical skills.
 I would have assumed multimodal teaching was generally a good thing and so l was surprised to read from the VARK websites  ‘FAQ’ page:

  ‘Q If I use all four modes in my teaching will that improve learning for all my students? .
A Not necessarily! It may confuse some learners who might prefer that Read/write modes were used more often or some learners might want a bigger emphasis on Visual teaching strategies. Learners like variety to prevent boredom but using all four modes in a brief learning session can be counter-productive. Using variety within several sessions is helpful. ‘


This seems rather a minor point, given that the majority are multimodal learners and as Fleming himself points out “Learners are adept at using their preferred modes to adapt incoming messages to suit their strategies”

 I shall continue to teach aiming to use all 4 modalities as much as possible. I shall also think more about techniques appropriate to what is being learnt.

I think it would be useful to incorporate the VARK questionnaire with my students at the beginning of each teaching year. In my experience thus far students are still largely unfamiliar with metacognitive practices.
As I teach the same small group all year, it could also benefit me to have some sense of each students preferred style.

As for online learning it seems obvious that online courses should aim to utilize tools that allow learning in all 4 modalities: images, graphs, audio and video podcasts interactive sites, real stories and images as well as the traditional read and write formats
A study I came across looked at on- line learning and learner preferences (based on the Felder and Solomon theory of learning):

“Our results suggest that active learners, who enjoy brain- storming and gathering input from various sources, were more likely to use the online materials than reflective learners, who prefer to work independently. Intuitive learners, who prefer to seek out relationships within topics and concepts (consistent with the intent of the materials) were also more likely to use the online study aids. Visual learners also preferred the online materials, which were largely diagrams and flow charts, when compared to verbal learners.
In summary, student learning style assessment enables pre- clinical educators to devise learning algorithms and resources that target all learning styles reflected in their students and assists students in selecting those learning resources that best suit their preferred style:”


                                                      References
    
Halbert C., Kriebel R., Cuzzolino R., Coughling P., & Fresa-Dillon K. (2011) Self-assessed learning style correlates to use of supplemental learning materials in an online course management system,  Medical teacher 33 (4) 331-333
DOI: 10.3109/0142159X.2011.542209

Prensky, M. (2003) “e-Nough” On the Horizon 11(1) Retrieved from http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?issn=1074-8121

No comments:

Post a Comment